- Permanent Link:
- Teaching environmental awareness in the city
- Eiben, C. Erich ( author )
- Place of Publication:
- Denver, CO
- University of Colorado Denver
- Publication Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 electronic file (57 pages) + : ;
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Environmental education -- Colorado -- Denver ( lcsh )
Instructional systems -- Design ( lcsh )
Art, Municipal -- Colorado -- Denver ( lcsh )
Landscape architecture ( lcsh )
- bibliography ( marcgt )
theses ( marcgt )
non-fiction ( marcgt )
- Humans manage nature for our benefit at multiple scales, whether it is a wildlife refuge, an urban park, or farmland. I see a social divide where pragmatic elements are viewed as unnatural due to their focus on function over other qualities. This social polarity of nature versus pragmatism can be dangerous, allowing us to exploit urban areas with the thought that there are other natural areas preserved within cities themselves and also far away in more wild areas. In this thesis I hope raise awareness of surroundings through visual means of teaching and learning to inspire others to care for the urban environments we frequent daily, at human scale. I believe that if we care more for environments locally it will echo at larger scales and be a tool to reduce our impact on Earth. In order to do this we must first understand what nature means to us as a collective society which could ultimately help us care for urban spaces that seem menial. I explored this topic through two different projects; the development of an amenity for a community garden at Mariposa affordable housing on 10th and Osage which was designed through a community engagement processes and an art installation for Access to Art at Union Station.
- Thesis (M.L.A.)--University of Colorado Denver. Landscape architecture
- Includes bibliographic references.
- System Details:
- System requirements: Adobe Reader.
- General Note:
- Department of Landscape Architecture
- Statement of Responsibility:
- by C. Erich Eiben.
- Source Institution:
- |University of Colorado Denver
- Holding Location:
- |Auraria Library
- Rights Management:
- All applicable rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
- Resource Identifier:
- 910631891 ( OCLC )