- Permanent Link:
- The Eugenic Gaze: Algorithmic Test Proctoring in Higher Education
- Swauger, Shea
- Place of Publication:
- Vancouver, BC
- HASTAC 2019
- Publication Date:
- Physical Description:
- This presentation outlines how algorithmic test proctoring engages the eugenic gaze, how it harms students, why higher education uses it, and why we should stop.
- Collected for Auraria Institutional Repository by the Self-Submittal tool. Submitted by Shea Swauger.
- Presented on May 18, 2019 at the 2019 HASTAC Conference in Vancouver, BC
- Source Institution:
- Auraria Library
- Holding Location:
- Auraria Library
- Rights Management:
- Copyright Shea Swauger. Permission granted to University of Colorado Denver to digitize and display this item for non-profit research and educational purposes. Any reuse of this item in excess of fair use or other copyright exemptions requires permission of the copyright holder.
THE EUGENIC GAZE: ALGORITHMIC TEST PROCTORING IN HIGHER EDUCATION
SESSION OUTLINE 1. Describe algorithmic test proctoring 2. Identify potential harms 3. Define the Eugenic Gaze 4. Demonstrate how algorithmic test proctoring uses the Eugenic Gaze 5. What do we do now?
IDENTITY CHECK I am a cis, white, heterosexual, non disabled, middle class, man
ALGORITHMIC TEST PROCTORING Used in online testing Records video, audio, web browsing, location, eye tracking, etc. Reports certain student behaviors as suspicious, indicating cheating, to the teacher
POTENTIAL HARMS Facial recognition/machine learning technology preferences white skin, neurotypical behavior, and non disabled bodies Loud noises and leaving the camera Having children, breast feeding, care taking, medical conditions
POTENTIAL HARMS ID checks Outing students who are trans or undocumented Recording students for sexual exploitation Approximate location Room scans
WHY ARE WE DOING THIS? Discriminatory exclusion W omen, people of color, and immigrants have always been seen as a threat to education Pedagogy of punishment controlled Technological Solutionism Technology will solve all problems and is neutral and objective
future at an alarming rate . With the ability to take learning outside the brick walls of our institutions, a vast number of people now have access to education. But this presents a problem of how to maintain academic integrity in a globally competitive job market. Instructors and students alike want to academic achievements. Proctorio defends your accomplishments by holding dishonest people accountable Proctorio Marketing Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEH55Iv73Is
THE EUGENIC GAZE: COMPONENTS 1. General features of a gaze: Unequal power dynamic Surveillance Control and conformity to an idealized norm
THE EUGENIC GAZE: COMPONENTS 2. Eugenics : an ideology with the goal of improving the genetic quality of humans through selective breeding, forced sterilization, murder, and genocide
THE EUGENIC GAZE: COMPONENTS 3. Technologically encoded forms of power, surveillance, control, and the eugenic ideal
ALGORITHMIC TEST PROCTORING AND THE EUGENIC GAZE Algorithmic test proctoring encodes what an ideal student body is and defines any deviation to that ideal as suspicious of academic misconduct.
WHAT DO WE DO NOW? If you have to use them: Be transparent about it and give students warning Talk through the potential harms Advocate on their behalf
Shea Swauger @ SheaSwauger Shea.Swauger@ucdenver.edu CONTACT